Humans are both the cause of, and solution to, climate change. If you have a background in applied social psychology, environmental psychology, or behavioral economics—and want your research to have an impact in the real world—then join our Behavior and Human Dimensions research team. At ACEEE, you will be part of an organization that turns research into practice to encourage energy conservation and efficiency, and to change policy.
The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), a leading national research organization based in Washington, DC, seeks a senior research analyst to support and lead energy efficiency research projects on a variety of behavior-related topics in different sectors. The analyst applies diverse research methods and writes reports in lay language with actionable recommendations for policymakers, program implementers, contractors, and other non-academic audiences.
ACEEE conducts independent analysis and develops transformative polices to build a vibrant and equitable economy that uses energy more productively, protects the environment, and promotes the health, safety, and well-being of everyone.
ACEEE’s organizational culture is collaborative and team-oriented with a strong commitment to its mission. Staff work at an energetic pace within a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment with opportunities for professional growth and development. There is a high degree of workplace flexibility, with an emphasis on results, making ACEEE an enjoyable and fulfilling place to work. ACEEE is committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion while weaving equity into our research and policy work.
The analyst will be one of two full-time staff members in the Behavior and Human Dimensions Program at ACEEE, which focuses on research and analysis pertaining to energy efficiency behavior change. The analyst leads coordination and research efforts on smaller projects, plays a significant role in larger projects, and contributes to cross-program efforts with other ACEEE research programs. The analyst will conduct literature reviews, design studies, collect, clean, and analyze data, write reports, and represent ACEEE at relevant meetings and conferences. The analyst advances energy efficiency policies and programs by conducting rigorous research and then communicating the findings to non-academic audiences. Occasionally, they will work with outside organizations, such as research institutes, businesses, nonprofits, or local governments, to implement or advise on behavior change program efforts. The analyst reports to the director of the Behavior and Human Dimensions Program.
• Leads small research projects and contributes to large research projects involving literature reviews, experiments (online or in the field), qualitative and quantitative surveys, and other types of data gathering efforts. Research projects will primarily focus on applying behavioral science to energy efficiency programs and policies but may also include some projects on related topics, such as equity or low-income energy efficiency programs.
• Proposes research projects relevant to current policies and programs that can help inform policy adoption and program design in the future.
• Helps design, plan, schedule and administer research projects, including occasionally coordinating the efforts of multiple interns, contributors, and collaborators.
• Cleans and analyzes data to answer research questions using visualizations (graphs, scatterplots, etc.), basic statistical tests (ANOVA, t-test, correlation, chi-square, etc.) and statistical tools (e.g., SPSS or R).
• Writes and contributes sections of reports, white papers, fact sheets and other materials, summarizing research for non-academic audiences and proposing actionable recommendations.
• Presents research findings at conferences and meetings.
• Knowledge of, and experience with, behavioral science and some familiarity with energy efficiency practices, programs, policies, and technologies
• Proven track record of performance and reliability
• Demonstrated ability to coordinate projects
• Strong ability to think critically and analytically about research gathered on relevant topics
• Some experience with quantitative and qualitative analysis (and openness to learning new research methods and statistical skills on the job)
• Proven ability to perform multiple tasks independently
• Excellent interpersonal skills, team player, detail-oriented, problem solver, and a quick learner
• Demonstrated ability to use Microsoft Office, SPSS or other analytical tools, and survey platforms such as Alchemer or Qualtrics
• Demonstrated writing, presentation, and communication skills
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree and at least four years of relevant work experience, or a master’s degree and three years’ experience, or a PhD.
• Demonstrated knowledge of, or experience with, energy efficiency and behavioral science (e.g., applied psychology or behavioral economics), as well as project development and coordination experience
• Lead analyst/author on one or more reports, research projects, or peer-reviewed journal manuscripts
Preferred start date: December 2022; the position is preferably located in Washington, DC, or can be remote. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. Salary range is $59,727 – $74,659. ACEEE’s generous benefits package includes health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage; a 403(b) retirement plan; transportation and bike-share benefits; three weeks of vacation in the first year and four weeks thereafter.
To apply: Use the link below to access the Paylocity Recruitment portal. Be sure to include a cover letter, resume and (1-2 pages) writing sample. We do not accept phone calls or emails about the position.
Please let us know how you heard of this opening.
ACEEE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability. ACEEE is committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in its organization and encourages applicants with diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/1YwnWNcALmGaeTZJ4Sb1zm